The terms “alimony” and “spousal support” both refer to the money allowance paid by one spouse to another as ordered by the court. Alimony does not apply to every divorce situation. Divorce proceedings determine whether alimony is required on a case-by-case basis. Either party may be ordered to pay spousal support.
Alimony laws in Michigan and court decisions set the criteria for determining whether alimony is applicable to your case. The following factors are considered, and the judge will weigh some factors more than others in each specific case.
- The past relations and conduct of each spouse
- The length of the marriage
- The ability of each spouse to work
- The source of and amount of property awarded to each spouse
- The age of each spouse
- The ability of each spouse to pay alimony
- The present situation of each spouse
- The needs of each spouse
- The health of each spouse
- The prior standard of living of each spouse
- Contributions of the parties to the joint estate
- A party’s fault in causing the divorce
- The effect of cohabitation on a party’s financial status
- General principles of equity
It is important that you have an attorney who understands the complexities of Michigan alimony laws, and who knows the inclinations of the local trial judges. The attorneys at Gordon & Hess, PLC are experienced and can evaluate, explain and help advocate for your best outcome.
We will give you straight answers and reasonable expectations in accordance with Michigan law and the particular Judge that is assigned your case. The attorneys at Gordon & Hess, PLC have represented clients facing alimony issues in Grand Rapids, Grand Haven, Holland, Muskegon, White Cloud, Kalamazoo, Allegan, Hastings, Stanton, Ionia as well as other cities throughout West Michigan and can help you.
Please contact Gordon & Hess, PLC in Grand Rapids, Michigan now and schedule a free ½ hour confidential consultation to meet face to face and discuss the alimony issue you are facing and to discuss the best course of action. Call now at (616) 272-3331.